Monday, May 24, 2010

DPRK Donuts

I had a dream the other night that I was on a flight to Japan - a regular, scheduled commercial aviation flight. We had engine trouble, though, and due to the reduction in thrust, we were diverted...to North Korea.

Either I was coming from somewhere in central Asia, or my subconscious has a poor grasp of geography.

Anyway, following a safe landing at an unnamed North Korean airport, the other passengers and I were allowed to roam around the terminal until an aircraft became available to take us the rest of the way to Japan. At this point, I discovered that there was a Dunkin' Donuts in the terminal. I invited a few other passengers to sample its fare with me. I called it DPRK Donuts, which my subconscious thought was hilarious.

The donuts were acceptable. Better, though, was the box, which was covered in propaganda. We folded it up to take home, barely stifling our laughter in front of the very serious-looking donut man.

I think I need professional help. With chocolate frosting and sprinkles.

2 comments:

Alice said...

And I thought I had weird dreams :-)

But explain, what does DPRK mean?

And what if it had been Tim Horton's instead of Dunkin Donuts???????

dek said...

DPRK = Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the official name of North Korea. South Korea is officially the Republic of Korea (ROK).

A Tim Horton's in North Korea would only provide further evidence of a vast Canadian conspiracy.